Friday, September 4, 2015

Homemade Applesauce

I absolutely love applesauce but quit eating the stuff we buy at the store.  Even though we buy the "natural" there is still some sort of added ingredients.  I decided to google a simple recipe and make my own, but like always I tweaked the recipe and made it with less ingredients but oh so delicious!

Homemade Applesauce: 

I am going to list the amount of ingredients I used.  Adjust accordingly for your family

5 medium/large apples (I used a variety)
1 1/2-2 cups water
sprinkle of cinnamon

 
Peel the apples, I left a little peel on them because I like the texture.  After you peel them, remove core and cut them into chunks.

  
After they are cut up place them into a medium saucepan and sprinkle cinnamon on top (optional). Add the water.  I started with 1 1/2 cups and ended up using a little more.  You don't want the water to cover the apples but you want to make sure there is a good layer of water at the bottom.

Turn the burner on high until it boils and then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.  I set the timer and stirred them every 5 minutes.  You also want to make sure that there is water in the saucepan every time you stir so the apples don't burn.

After they are completely soft drain off any extra water.  Then depending on the consistency and texture you like will determine how you puree them.  I like mine kind of chunky so I just used a potato masher.  It is really good served warm with some added cinnamon on top or you can put it in the fridge to chill. This would also be really good served warm on top of coconut milk vanilla flavored ice cream with some toasted oats and nuts with a little raw honey.  It would make a "version" of an apple pie. Super easy! Simply Delicious  


 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment