Monday, September 21, 2015

Slow-Cooker Beef and Barley Soup

I am lucky enough that I've taken on a really bad head cold and if you are like me I crave soup when I am sick.  I love beef and barley but have never made it so I went to Google for some help and this one is delicious.  I also love that it's for a crock pot to make it easier at the end of the day.

Slow-Cooker Beef and Barley Soup:

1.5 pounds beef stew meat
3 medium carrots sliced
1 large onion chopped
2/3 cup frozen kernel corn thawed
2/3 cups uncooked pearl barley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes undrained
5 1/4 cups beef broth (I used 6 cups)
1 cup frozen sweet peas thawed


So easy! Spray the crock pot with some cooking spray and put all the ingredients in the crock pot EXCEPT for the peas.  Turn it on low and cook for 9-10 hours.

After it's cooked for 9-10 hours mix the peas in and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes.  It says to up the heat to high but I didn't and it seemed to work just fine. 

Dish it up and you have a super easy and filling soup for the whole family.  It made a bunch for my family of 4 with leftovers. Simply Delicious
 

 


2 comments:

  1. Aimee...I am enjoying your blog. Just got in and will eventually spend more time here. I just made a batch of beef and barley soup a few days ago. I wish I had had this recipe of yours. Mine was just thrown together. Some of the same ingredients, but yours is a real improvement. I will use it next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And guess what! I have ten apples in my fridge that I am going to prepare this afternoon to make my apple sauce. I have been doing this for a couple of years. Now I see your simple recipe. Mine is about the same, except I do use a little brown sugar and some nutmeg, as well. What a coincidence to find both the beef and barley soup recipe as well as the apple sauce recipe right on the heels of me fixing that stuff.

      Delete