Wednesday, March 4, 2015

A Healthy Creation

I was making my family spaghetti tonight and I wasn't feeling it.  I didn't make anything special for them.  I have my mom's delicious recipe for sauce that cooks all day but tonight was sauce from a jar with some hamburger and mushrooms added in.  But like I said, I wasn't feeling it tonight.  So I thought about what I wanted to create and luckily it ended up amazing!  Not sure what to call it so as of right now I will just call it:

A Healthy Creation:

2-4 Roma tomatoes 
(I used 4 and it made enough for two meals or for two people)
1 cup vegetable stock or broth
1 carrot diced
1/3 cup chopped purple onion
1/4 yellow pepper
1/4 orange pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
large handful fresh spinach chopped
large handful fresh kale, rib removed
3-4 mushrooms chopped
1 medium zucchini sliced lengthwise
2 large eggs per person

Chop the tomatoes and add them to a saucepan with the vegetable stock and bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until tomatoes start to break down and become cooked through.

While the tomatoes are cooking heat some olive oil in a skillet on medium heat.  Add the carrots, onion and peppers. Combine the spices and add to the vegetables.  Cook until carrots become tender.

Once the carrots are tender, add the vegetables to the tomatoes and add the chopped spinach, kale and mushrooms. Continue to cook the vegetable reduction while cooking the zucchini and eggs.

  
I forgot to take pictures of the zucchini but it's super simple.  Heat some olive oil in a pan on medium heat.  Add the zucchini when the pan is hot and cook them until they have some color on each side.  What you would consider a little over-done.  After the zucchini is done place it in a dish creating a layer for the next ingredients.  

When I made the eggs I cooked them as an open omelet.  I wanted the circular shape to make sure it covered the layer of zucchini and also made a flat top to add the vegetable reduction.

This was absolutely delicious and would also be great served at a brunch.  I hope you enjoy my simple creation! Simply Delicious.


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment