Sunday, March 1, 2015

Cajun Chicken with Spiced Quinoa

This is a recipe that I saw posted by Kayla Itsines and her 12 week workout program.  I decided to make it tonight for my sister-in-law and we both loved it!  You can definitely make them separately but they went together perfectly.

Cajun Chicken:

2 tsp cajun seasoning
2 limes juiced
1 tbs. coriander chopped (I didn't put this in but will next time)
1 large chicken breast
1 tsp coconut oil


Spiced Quinoa:

1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 tsp coconut oil
1/2 small red onion diced
1 carrot diced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbs chopped parsley
1 tbs lemon juice


*Side Note:  Pictured in the ingredients is coconut oil but I made the meal with olive oil due to an allergy to coconut.



Rinse the quinoa really well with cold water.  This is kind of tricky if you don't have a mesh strainer.  I use a measuring cup and then scoop the quinoa out with my hand.  Yes, it's kind of a pain.

Put the quinoa in a saucepan with the stock.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 15-20 minutes.  After it's cooked remove from heat and set aside covered.

Mix the seasoning, lime juice and coriander in a bowl.  Place chicken breast in the mixture for 5 minutes to marinate.  I did two chicken breasts with this amount so plan accordingly for however many breasts you're going to prepare.

I broiled the chicken on high and kept an eye on it.  The time will vary depending on the size of the chicken.

Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the vegetables and spices for the quinoa.  Cook until the carrot has softened. 

 Add the vegetable mixture to the quinoa and stir in the parsley and lemon juice.  Season with salt and pepper.

The Cajun seasoning adds a great taste to the chicken without being too overpowering and the quinoa has the best flavoring with the spices that are added.  This will definitely be a meal I make more often!  I also paired it with some asparagus and a platter of fresh fruit.  Simply Delicious.


 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment