Thursday, March 19, 2015

Hummus

My friend sent me a recipe for homemade hummus from the Barefoot Contessa but I slightly changed it.  It originally calls for garlic cloves to be put into the blender and hot sauce.  I wanted to make a plain, traditional flavor so that I have the option of adding different toppings when I go to eat it.  I'm posting the recipe how I made it and it turned out so yummy!

Hummus:

2 cups canned chickpeas (garbanzo) drained (set aside the liquid from the can)
1/3 cup tahiti (sesame paste)
roughly 6 tablespoons lemon juice (2 lemons)
2 tablespoons of liquid from the chickpeas (garbanzo)
kosher salt to taste

*side note: if you want to add garlic to the above recipe, add 4 garlic cloves and chop in the blender and then add the remaining ingredients and blend until hummus is consistency you like.*

Toppings to add:

kalamata olives
olive oil
jalapenos
fresh garlic
pine nuts
sun-dried tomatoes
green olives
hot sauce
fresh chopped herbs


Add all the ingredients in a blender and blend and pulse until you get the consistency you want.  I scraped the sides of the blender down once and then blended until it became smooth.


For my dinner I added chopped kalamata olives on top with a drizzle of olive oil.  Serve it with a bunch of different vegetables and/or pita bread heated and you have a simple, healthy snack, lunch or dinner. Simply Delicious

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment