Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Aimee's Linguine with Shrimp

I decided to create my own sauce tonight after I looked at the recipe I was going to use.  I wanted to make a simple tomato sauce and add some veggies.  Thankfully it turned out great and the family loved it.  So here is my creation.

Aimee's Linguine with Shrimp:


1 small onion chopped
2 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes
(use 3 cans if you want extra sauce)
1-2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 carrot
4-8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon fresh parsley torn up
1 tablespoon fresh basil torn up
1 clove garlic chopped (optional)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste

*side note: thaw out your shrimp before hand if it's frozen before you start dinner.*


It says to not thaw it out by putting it under running water but that's exactly what I do and it works just fine.


 When the shrimp is thawed it's time to start the sauce.  Start with 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil and add the chopped onion when pan gets hot.

Cook the onion until tender and then add chopped carrot (small pieces), sliced mushrooms, canned diced tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.

Mix it all up in the pan and put on medium heat.  

To speed up the process put a lid on it and it steams it while it cooks.  This will cut down on the cooking time.  Meanwhile bring a pot of water to boil and start cooking the linguine according to the package.


After it's cooked you have a couple choices.  You can leave the sauce chunky and leave it as is, or puree it.  I pureed it to disguise the onion, carrots and mushrooms so my son would eat it. Even if you puree it you can decide how chunky or smooth you want to make it.
 


Return the sauce back to the pan and add the zucchini.  If your kids don't like zucchini add it in the first step of ingredients and puree it into the sauce.  My kids like zucchini so I kept it chunky.
 

When zucchini is cooked add the sauce to the drained, cooked linguine.
 
Add a little coconut oil to a pan and saute the shrimp.  They are done when they are completely pink.  It takes roughly 5-6 minutes.
 
Another variation would be to cook the shrimp and add it to the sauce.  My kids wanted their shrimp on the side so instead I topped my pasta with the shrimp and some shredded Parmesan.  I hope you enjoy! Simply Delicious



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment