Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Mommy Knows Best

My mom was an amazing cook. Being a child in my parents house meant that I ate what my mom made and that was it.  I lucked out that she had the best recipes and a huge variety of different things. I'm not sure where she got this recipe from, and of course I've tweaked it by adding more ingredients, but it's one of our favorites.  This is also something my kids will eat and it's a great way to use tons of vegetables.

Mom's Autumn Soup: (my tweaked version)

1 lb. hamburger
1 medium onion
3-4 medium potatoes
3-4 medium carrots
8-16 oz mushrooms
1 medium zucchini
1 medium summer squash
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 can corn drained
1 can green beans drained
1 bay leaf
4 tsp beef bouillon or 4 cubes
(sub. with vegetable bouillon if making vegetarian soup)
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 cups of water
 
 First thing is to brown the hamburger and cook the onion with it.  After it's cooked drain the fat.  If making vegetarian, cook the onion and carrot together with a little oil until tender.
 Cut up all the ingredients while the hamburger is browning.  I cut it into smaller pieces to speed the process of dinner.  And also if I have them on hand I prefer to use fingerling potatoes.  I like the color it adds to the soup and shouldn't we always make our food pretty so we can enjoy it to it's fullest.  Add all of the ingredients to the pot. Stir.
 Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
 Flavorful and colorful!  These ingredients are just what I had at my house.  You can use anything you want.  My mom always just did carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, onion and celery.  I like adding a bunch of vegetables and having the different textures and colors.  Simply Delicious!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment