Tuesday, January 13, 2015

First Lady Approved Turkey Burgers

These are yummy and healthy turkey burgers and simple to make.  They are kid approved in my house and seconds are even welcomed. And I always serve these burgers with sweet potato fries.

I double the recipe for my family of 4 and we usually have a couple of burgers left over, which my kids will even heat up and eat the next day. But before you start the turkey burgers you are going to want to start the sweet potato fries.  


Sweet Potato Fries:

1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch strips
salt and pepper to taste
cooking spray

450 degrees for 30 minutes


Scrub potatoes with a brush.  Then cut in half and cut into strips.

Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.  Place sweet potato strips in a single layer on sheet and spray with cooking spray.  Sprinkle salt and pepper on top.  If you have little kids you may want to omit the pepper to make it less "spicy".  Bake in 450 degree oven for 30 minutes.


While the sweet potatoes are cooking start the burgers

Turkey Burgers:

2 pounds ground turkey
1/2 cup panko crumbs (I use Italian bread crumbs)
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon minced scallions
4 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
zest and juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons canola oil (used to cook burgers in skillet on medium heat)


Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix really well.  I use a potato masher to mix it up and seems to work the best.



I use gloves to make the patties, basically because I don't like to touch raw meat. :)  When I make the patties I also make them a little thinner to speed up the cooking time.  The cooking time is about 7 minutes.  This will of course depend on the type of skillet you use and your stove.  This is when you use the canola oil.  Heat pan on medium heat and make sure turkey is cooked all the way through. When I cook the second batch of burgers I will add more oil to the pan.



So yummy, especially paired with sweet potato fries. Simply Delicious

 



No comments:

Post a Comment