Saturday, January 24, 2015

Greek Marinated Chicken

I wanted a Greek style chicken so I searched for a recipe that I thought sounded good and that the ingredients would also be things that I already purchased with my meal plan and I found one that my family found worthy.

Greek Marinated Chicken:

1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped ( I omitted from mine)
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1 medium lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly cracked pepper
1/4 bunch fresh parsley
3 1/2-4 pounds chicken (I used breasts)

375 degrees 45-60 minutes
 
*Side Note:  I also paired the chicken with a salad.  Greek salads are commonly based with tomato wedges, cucumbers, feta cheese and romaine lettuce.  I used spinach.  So I'm adding the Greek dressing I made to top the salad.

Greek Salad Dressing:

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon fresh chopped basil (optional)

 Dressing ingredients not pictured


Combine all of the ingredients for the marinade into a bowl.  Use a zester or a fine holed grater to add lemon zest before you cut the lemon.  Add juice from half of the lemon, (about 1-2 tablespoons). 


After it's all combined, add the chicken and the marinade to a plastic bag.  Remove as much air as possible, close the bag tightly, and massage the bag to mix the contents and make sure the chicken is well coated.  Refrigerate the bag for 30 minutes.  
I did less than 30 minutes and basically just coated the chicken with the marinade.

*Side Note:  Remember to not over-marinade the chicken.  The acid of the lemon juice will start to breakdown the chicken and "cook" it.  If you marinade too long the meat will become tough*

Line a 9x13 pan with the chicken and cook at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes


While the chicken is cooking make your salad dressing.  I mixed it and then let it set aside so the flavors could combine.

When the chicken is almost done put together the salad.  I did spinach, tomato wedges, and English cucumbers.  Then I coated the salad with some of the dressing and then topped it with feta crumbles.


The chicken has a great lemon taste to it and goes really well with the salad.  I made a quick rice pilaf to go with it.  Very easy meal to throw together and would also be great to chunk the chicken and cook as kabobs on the barbeque. Simply Delicious


 
 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment