Tuesday, January 20, 2015

My Dad's Meatloaf

I was so lucky growing up in a household where both of my parents were amazing cooks.  It made it easy to love all kinds of foods and have a joy of cooking for my own family.  One of our absolute favorite dinners is my dad's meatloaf. YUM!

Dad's Meatloaf:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 lbs. hamburger
1 small or medium onion chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
1 medium carrot grated
3 slices bread (I used multi-grain)
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dry mustard

Oven 350 degrees for 1.5 hours

First thing you are going to want to do is chop the onion and cook it over medium heat in the 2 tbsp. vegetable oil.  If you want the celery you will cook it with the onion.  My husband doesn't like celery so I usually leave it out of my recipes.

While the onions and/or celery is cooking start adding the ingredients into a large mixing bowl.  In the mixture you will add 4 oz. of the tomato sauce and set the rest of the can to the side.

Add the onions to the mixture and mix it up until everything is combined.  I don't like to use my hands but I have found that a potato masher works really well.

Empty the bowl of the meat mixture into a 9x13 pan.  I lightly coated mine with cooking spray.  Form it into a loaf.
*side note: I use this recipe for my family of 4 and we devour almost the whole pan.  So, if you have to double it make sure to form your meatloaf accordingly or make two separate loaves in the pan.*

Now you need to make the sauce.  I personally like a lot of sauce so I tripled the recipe.  I will list the original proportion:

4 oz. tomato sauce (the rest of the can)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dry mustard

Mix together in a bowl

Pour on top of the meatloaf.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1.5 hours.  I let it sit for about 5 minutes to let it set.  I hope you enjoy my dad's meatloaf! Simply Delicious


 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment